January 14, 2014

Miracles

So I thought with Christmas ending that I would see less Christmas miracles.. but we've seen more miracles than we've seen cockroaches.. and I'm telling you that means we've seen a whole lot this week! I don't have enough time so I'm only going to focus on two or three of these miracles.

Hafrum. Let me tell you all a little bit about miracle number 1. Well remember that girl we contacted from a while back. Well we hadn't seen her in like 4 weeks, but on Monday last week we were going to go visit Ana.. when we saw Hafrum standing in the road. so we started talking to her and just chitchatting and none of my comps were making a move to start teaching her so I just was like I'm a representative of Jesus Christ why am I not sharing the gospel? So I was like Hey, can we teach you a little about Jesus? And she was like yea of course that'd be awesome. So she let us in and we start talking and we start with a prayer and ask if there is anything that she would like us to pray for and she says she wants joy. So we pray and then just start right in on how God is our Heavenly Father and the gospel and his plan brings us joy, lots of blessings and happiness and everything. And the spirit is so strong my mexican comp said even without understanding anything that she felt the spirit. So we asked if she had questions and she asked what we believe in smoking and drinking and sex. and so we gave her a brief overview of the word of wisdom and the law of chastity. and she looked at us and she just said.. i need to change. but its so hard. and so we talked a little bit more and then gave her the restoration pamphlet to read and asked if she would pray to close the lesson and she said sure... but that she'd never prayed before. We taught her the steps and then she asked if she could say it in her native tongue.. Icelandic. so she prayed and the spirit JUST ENVELOPED us. it was amazing. and so afterwards I just asked her as we were leaving--I asked how she felt and she was like i cant explain it. i feel so good right now. so calm. Okay so we were then trying to find her a Book of Mormon in Icelandic because everyone should read or hear the gospel in their native language. but we didn't even know if they had them so we're on LDS.org and we find it and then the spirit guides us and we find all of the pamphlets in Icelandic in a printable version.. BUT DAD HERE'S THE DEAL WE NEED YOU TO BUY THE BOOK OF MORMON AND GET IT TO US AS SOON AS POSSIBLE: the mission said it could take like 2-3 months... SO THATS YOUR JOB BOM IN ICELANDIC! And TO US ASAP. :)) Okay so then we printed all the stuff out and found out there aren't missionaries over there but there are 254 members with 2 congregations. And so we passed by her house on the 1st... and we were talking with her briefly and she was like I tried.. I tried not to drink but after a few hours of people offering me and offerring me and offering me I gave in. its just thats what I do to party in my country since you're a teenager you just go and get drunk. but I'm trying to change it and I only had a few.. i really had a lot less than normal. and then we gave her the pamphlet in Icelandic and she freaked out with excitement. she told me that she tried reading but wasn't understanding and then she was like i'm going to go read this right now. So we went and we taught her again about being a child of God. And how important it really is and what it really means and the spirit again was so so strrong! and she just understands and gets it all. And she has such a pure desire even though she knows nothing about God or the church. I feel like we're teaching king Lamoni. Its incredible. And then at the end she said ... I want to do it. I want to do whats right. But I dont know how Im going to be able to make it through the week of fiestas... (Let me explain. this week of fiestas is in 2 weeks and all of costa rica will be having big huge fiestas.. but the difference is that santa cruz has the biggest fiestas and they are the only ones that are 24 hrs long of just drinking and partying and its throughout the whole town...) So I looked at her and I promised her that if she will decide to follow christ that she will be able to do it. And she made a joke about how she desires a metal if she gets through the week sober and I told her I'll make her a cake if she gets through the week sober and then the spirit still super strong i told her if she will pray and know that these things are true that we are teaching her that she will not have problems through the week because she will know that God will help her and that Heavenly Father loves her and wants her to be clean so that she can be happy really happy. and then I challenged her to be baptized and she accepted. Now the next time we passed she was reading the pamphlets of the restoration and word of wisdom and was taking notes in a notebook.  All I can say is that she is so prepared and ready for this gospel and to be a pioneer in her country and she doesn't even know it. She has such pure intent and i feel like we really are just bringing it all back to her rememberance. I feel the spirit so strong when we teach her and I know the Lord is working through us. I am so grateful for the opportunity to help her! 

Maikol okay so maikol is so incredible. He hasn't been smoking or drinking.. which was a huge problem for him and the lesson we had with him this week he started crying and he just said that hes never felt the love of Christ more than when he has been listening to us teach him about his atonement and how that can help him with his addictions. He is coming up fast for his baptism in two weeks!! right before I leave!

Paolo so he is just a normal guy. but so prepared. this week we taught him and he was like it just all feels right. But that he doesnt have faith so he has told us multiple times that he isn't going to pray until he has read the book of Mormon enough and has more faith... Well last night we were teaching him and the spirit guided us to say somethings and he accepted the challenge to pray and to ask Heavenly Father directly if these things are true! He too is preparing for his baptism.

Ana her wedding is this saturday. Im making the desserts with hna johnson.. Im so EXCITED! FINALLYYY!!!! WOOOHOOO!

so the elderly couple in our zone gave us money to eat a christmas dinner and we never did so on wed. we went to a restaurant and I got to eat FILLET MIGNON! or however you spell it... real meat! hah. it was awesome. last night I ate Iguana Eggs... i felt so sick afterwards but its a great experience.. Life is so good. Today we went to the beach and I got a little sunburn that will turn into a nice tan. hah. Its just getting hotter and hotter and i'm loving it.. but we are starting the fifth week of this change so i have this week.. and next week.. and then its changes.... and on the 24th of Jan. ELDER COOK is coming just to speak to the missionaries! So awesome! 
Love you lots and I'm grateful for all your prayers! 

Hermana Coburn

No comments:

Post a Comment